There’s a local radio station in metro-Detroit that starts playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I hope I’m wrong, but they may even play some before Halloween. First off, I don’t know how anyone could like x-mas enough to “get in the spirit” that early. Secondly, they play the same bunch of songs the entire two months. There are so many Christmas songs, yet every time I pass the station on the radio, I hear one of twenty songs. Seriously, we can do better than Alvin & the Chipmunks five times a day. Here are ten songs you may or may not have heard, which somehow missed the cut of the radio station’s playlist. These are in no particular order.
10. Dinah Washington – Ole Santa
9. Albert King – Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’
8. Billie Holiday – I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm
7. Clarence Carter – Back Door Santa (Blues music is so dirty)
6. Ella Fitzgerald – The Secret of Christmas
5. James Brown – Go Power at Christmas Time
4. Lord Nelson – Party For Santa Claus
3. Otis Redding – Merry Christmas, Baby
2. The Kinks – Father Christmas
1. The Staple Singers – Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas?